Thursday, October 20, 2011

Strawberry Scones

If I could sleep, I probably wouldn't bake so much.  Such is my curse.
But I couldn't sleep yesterday after 5am, so I baked a loaf of bread (mixed up several days ago) and then mixed up some scones as well.  Today your benefit of my sleeplessness is that I have time to photograph and write up this entry.   Enjoy.

I still have half the batter in the fridge... and I'll bake it tomorrow for breakfast.

Here's the easy recipe:

2 cups Whole Wheat pastry flour
4 T sugar
11/2 t baking powder
3/4 t baking soda
1/2 t salt

1 stick butter
2/3 cup milk
1 pt strawberries, diced

put all the dry ingredients into a food processor.  Process.  Cut the butter into pads, add them, and process until it is well mixed.  I have a really small food processor, so it sticks to the sides, and I shake it to get the dough off the sides.  Go ahead, shake your food processor like you are mad at it.

Dump that into a mixing bowl, add the milk and turn it over until it is wet.  mix in the strawberry chunks.

Take a sheet of waxed paper (or parchment paper, or plastic wrap) and dump the dough-ball onto it, flatten it slightly, and chill.  10 minutes works, 20 is better.

Warm your oven to 200C / 400F
Pull out the chilled dough, and roll it out between 2 pieces of waxed paper until it is about 5-7mm thick (okay, 1/2 inch for you Imperial types).  Peel off the top sheet of waxed paper, and then cut it into triangle/diamond shaped chunks.  Transfer to a baking sheet. I put mine on parchment paper, because then I never have to scrape burnt things off my cookie sheets.

Bake for about 18 minutes.

Eat... enjoy.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this. Now its easy to bake after school when you are not home.

    ReplyDelete